Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Robocop was mostly realistic violence...

When watching Robocop, I forgot just how intense and graphic it was. The violence was very realistic to me; it didn't seem to be as stylized and excessive as some movies that have been released in recent years. I don't think I have seen the movie in about 10-15 years, and I was very young when I did see it, so I only had a vague memory of what happened in the movie. I was pleasantly surprised when I was watching it. Although it was a little dated, I think it was still very relevant in today’s society because of the themes that were presented. I think that because I am so used to seeing such stylized violence recently in movies that I was a little shocked with how violent it was. I was a little surprised by this, because usually there's not too much in a movie that can shock me.
  I really liked "Robocop" because it had a lot of parts that I was actually very pleased with just how realistic it was. It's like they were really trying to make it seem like you were actually witnessing these brutal murders. Several parts in particular where particularly effective; such as the part when Murphy's arm was blown off by the shotgun, and also the part where they shot him in the head, which left the huge hole in his head, were two good examples. There was some stylized violence in the movie, but it was kept to a minimum in my opinion. My favorite part, the “money shot” of the movie as far as I am concerned, is near the end of the movie, when the bad guys are hunting down Murphy aka “Robocop.” One of the henchmen gets acid all over him, and stumbles around for added gross-out effect, then gets hit by his boss’s car. I think when he just disintegrates and splatters all over the windshield of his boss’s car, that was just such a great scene! I had to rewind and watch it over a few times for maximum affect. It's not what I would consider very realistic violence, like most of the movie was in my opinion, but it definitely was my favorite part of the movie.
  I think that "Robocop" can be classified as one of those movies that initially came out and tried to be artistic and unique, but in the end became food for the masses. That might seem like an odd statement, because I wouldn't consider the movie to be a huge blockbuster or anything like that, but I think just the fact that there were several sequels to the movie speaks volumes for the popularity of "Robocop." I think the popularity was a surprise to all, because with all the gratuitous violence, I am pretty sure that the film was not meant for a wide, mainstream audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment